A drag event can be achieved by:
- Moving the mouse or pointing device with a pushbutton pressed
- A finger or stylus being moved whilst in continuous contact with a touchscreen or tablet device.
- A joystick being moved whilst the pushbutton is depressed
- The aiming device being moved whilst the trigger is depressed
One of the problems with software incorporating this feature is that some users find interfaces requiring drag movements difficult to use, This is a particular problem for accessibility users, or users with limited dexterity.
A drag event may be useful in some instances, for example to apply paint within a painting package, or to apply continuous fire against a moving target within a combat simulation.
A useful workaround would be to implement a command line that replicates the drag functionality.
- A drag function should not be used in item selection interfaces.
- Any provided drag function should be replicable via accessibility friendly alternative navigation methods